Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Postcards from Hervey Bay


(Student work from left to right by Jenny Gilshenan, Sophia Holm, Janis Phillips.)

What a lovely weekend I've had in Hervey Bay. It makes me laugh to read my last post- we had just arrived after the long drive and I was almost delirious with exhaustion. After a good night's sleep, I trotted off to the Wide Bay Tafe to meet my class of eager silversmithers. They were such a lovely lot, very eager to pump me for information and they made some terrific work. I'd love to go and do another class with them sometime HINT HINT.

On Monday I finally had the chance to explore the town a little bit. Not only does Hervey Bay have some great restaurants that I tried out for our brekkies and dinners, it is THE spot for op-shopping. Sad that op shops are the first attraction I want to see anywhere I visit, but I think they tell you a lot about a place. The Hervey Bay op shops told me that Hervey Bay is full of retirees. Retirees produce the best op shop goods I find (nice old blankets and 70's sheet sets, pink crockery and other nanna-type merch) so that's ok with me. Can I say op shop one more time in a sentence? Op shop op shop op shop. There.

On the way home we also stopped by Maryborough, which is a really pretty town about 3 1/2 hours north of Brissie. Apparently it was going to be the capital of Queensland and then Brisbane took over. Also it's the birthplace of PL Travers, who wrote Mary Poppins, which you will be reminded of about twelve times if you ever stop in Maryborough. Also also it's home to the heritage listed general store below, which was open for 101 years and then turned into a museum. It's chockers full of original merchandise and all manner of gorgeous packaging. There are all sorts of museums and things to visit in Maryborough, but if you are just passing through like I was, I highly recommend you visit this one.


Now I'm home it's nose back to the grindstone. Looking forward to sharing some of the things I'm working on right now.

1 comment:

natalie said...

i hope you have wonderful experience in whale watching here, cause i do.
printing hervey bay