Sunday, 17 October 2010

before-and-after.

Lucky Lindsay inherited her grandmother's engagement and wedding rings. They had some spectacular stones in them, but set in a big chunky setting that swamped Lindsay's fine fingers:


We redesigned the rings to keep some of the visual elements of the originals, but in an antique-style setting that's delicate, but robust enough to wear every day. After:


Congratulations on your engagement, Lindsay and Andrew! (Nicest couple. Ever.)

I just can't get enough of a good before-and-after. Whether it's house renos, the never-ending painted op-shop chairs on Design*Sponge, or one of those terrible cosmetic surgery reality shows (secret vice), sometimes you really need to see the before to really appreciate the after!

Redesigning old jewellery is ecologically sound, and a beautiful way to give new life to your sentimental pieces. I like to think about the history of the jewel- all the love that's gone into it before you. I'm not terribly into birthstones, or anything about 'energy' or 'healing power'... but I can't help but think that, in this case, 'pre-loved' is not such a bad thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How divine! I love the pattern you have created. I'm sure Lindsay's Grandmother would be very happy with the transformation.

Erin said...

Hi Maddy,
That is absolutely stunning! My dream ring set, well done clever lady. It reminds me, I have a very ugly old ring I might be contacting you to breathe new life into at some stage.
Hope you're well, hi to Mark.
x

Dave Kircher said...

Maddy,

The rings look fantastic. And I know my mom and dad would be very happy. Thanks,

Lindsay's Dad (Dave)

Cheryl said...

Just stunning - you've done an amazing job!

And I agree...nicest couple EVER! :)

Lindsay said...

Thank you so much, Madeleine. I just can't believe that something so beautiful is really mine! I've been distracted by the sparkle since we picked them up. :) Lindsay

Bespoke Letterpress Boutique said...

oh my, you are one clever lady!!

Melody said...

Hi Maddy,
What a beautiful transformation. The new design has ended up looking older than the original. It's a wonderful idea.
Melody