Wednesday, 30 June 2010

A Quick Opinion Poll

I've been experimenting with a new medium- I've been carving bone for my exhibition coming up in September with the divine Ms Vivienne Kelly. It's so lovely to carve- it's kind of creamy in a way, and has a beautiful tactile surface when finished. A little bit of internet research led me to a whole wealth of bone-carving information- it has a long history, especially in New Zealand, although the Maori bone-of-choice used to be whale. 
This is actually beef bone. My friendly (if bemused) local butcher cuts it for me, my dog chews the yummy stuff off it, and then it's boiled, dried and prepared for me to carve. 
What do you think- would you wear jewellery made from bone?

5 comments:

KT Doyle said...

I'll vote in a yes for that Madeleine! I love hearing about projects and processes like this. It means that no part of the cow is wasted!

Shay Collins said...

I usually try to steer away from bone jewellery, but knowing which beast it's come from would change that I think - especially that it's not from an endangered species and not been killed just for its bones. Very pretty - I like very much!

Kirstin said...

they are lovely maddy. Definitely thing that if you can allay people's concerns about the origin and species of the bone them you've got a winner. Gold and silver get dug up out of the ground in what some would say is a rather controversial way. So using biproduct beef bone is probably could be argued to be a more environmentally sensitive material.

Natalie said...

I love these! Every time I come across your blog I'm sick with envy, I'd so love to make jewellery and be a silversmith.

Anneka said...

I would (and do!) wear bone jewelery. I saw an article somewhere about bone wedding rings grown from bone fragments taken out during wisdom tooth surgery - you can actually wear your beloved. Which is perhaps a leeetle creepy...