Thursday, 26 March 2009

Tasty, tasty murder

I thought you might like to see what I got for my birthday last year (that’s December 6th by the way- you’re about to see how high my birthday-present-standards are, you can start saving now).

It’s the work of Tamsin Ainslie, a clever illustrator from Murwillumbah on the New South Wales coast. She shows her work here in Kiln Gallery. (That's where my studio is... more on that later.)

Isn’t it terrific? It will hang in the kitchen, just as soon as we have a kitchen. Handy AND beautiful, don’t you think? (There is also “Map of a Pig” which is still available here in the gallery, and teases me every day. It wants to come home with me… really it does). I showed it to a vegetarian friend of mine, who said, “Oh dear, couldn’t it be map of a veggie garden?” I suggested that to Tamsin… she said, “Perhaps it could be How to Murder a Carrot…” Heh heh, I like that girl’s style.

Have I just alienated the vegan sector of the market?


Tamsin has just gotten married and, given my worship of her work, I was so excited when she asked me to make her wedding jewellery. I love commissions from creative people! She doesn’t wear a lot of jewellery, so the brief was: simple, wonky, and white metal.

The wedding ring particularly feels so lovely, organic and smooth, a bit like a pebble that has been worn down by years in a stream. I think it will feel so nice to wear.

Congratulations Tamsin, hope you had a beautiful day!

1 comment:

shannon said...

Hi Madeleine,
I love the map of the cow- it makes me start considering recipes just thinking about it, lovely blog ....and amazing, beautiful jewellery.
Thanks