Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Not an early adopter


Well, I spend so much time trawling my favourite blogs every day, seems it was finally time to add my humble opinions to the hum of creative voices out there.

Not to be controversial. Just as a record of inspirations. Hopefully as a diary that is less embarrassing to me in the future than the one I kept under lock and key in Year 5. (Dear Diary, today I went swimming. There were no cute boys there. Love, Madeleine.)

Really, I am so reliant on my computer, what was it I used to do before The Internet? I must have had a hell of a lot of time on my hands. Oh, I remember- I used to watch tv.

When I was in high school, some friends and I were big fans of the X-Files. (I’m out-ing myself as a nerd early on, ok.) Our favourite catch-phrase was “Mulder, check your email!” Usually uttered by Scully to alert his attention to some grainy photo of little green men. Back in ’96 I used to think- Email? That’ll never catch on.

But then the processes used by a jeweller are centuries old- I don’t think they had flexible-shaft drive drills like mine in the middle ages, but the basics are still the same. It’s nice to feel that my work is so connected to history.

So forgive any technical glitches, folks- I’ve got history covered, it’s the future that I’m still catching up on.

No comments: